One of Sault Ste. Marie’s signature tourist attractions is looking to the public to raise capital for a major renovation.
The Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre has launched a GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign to raise $50,000 toward a greater $115,000 goal so it can leverage government funds for a $1.15-million renovation at the museum.
The proposed renovations include:
- relocating a small prep kitchen, tables and chairs to the rear of the building;
- moving aircraft closer to the front of the building;
- clearing space in the southwest corner to make room for at least one visiting exhibit annually;
- making space for activities related to Entomica, the Sault’s bug discovery exhibit;
- adding a classroom for educational activities and a room for artifact collection and preservation, and video productions; and
- making the museum’s theatre more interactive.
The museum board has also approached the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corp. for $100,000 in funding.
Other identified sources of funds include corporate sponsors and legacy sponsorships.
The museum is aiming to complete the renovations this winter, to be complete in time for the 2018 spring tourist season.
It’s been about 20 years since the museum’s last renovation.