The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre celebrated its most innovative people and companies during its annual SSMARt Awards on Nov. 15.
“Today was an opportunity to celebrate and appreciate the exceptional work being done by talented individuals within the Sault Ste. Marie and Algoma region, all contributing to local growth in the science, technology and agriculture sectors,” said Don MacLennan, the centre’s acting executive director, in a news release.
“We are proud of the nominations put forward and of our SSMARt Innovation Award winners, as well as the community support in celebration of innovation over the past 12 years.”
A list of the awards and their winners follows:
- Innovation Company of the Year: Penokean Hills Farms
- Innovation in Digital Media: Jeronamo Solutions for Vibe Eatery & Juice Co.
- Steve Butland Innovation Educator of the Year: Mark Carlucci, Teacher and Robotics Mentor with White Pines Collegiate and Vocational School
- Innovation Leader of the Year: Kevin Rusnell with Digital Intelligence Group (DIG)
- Innovation Project of the Year: Wishart Law Firm LLP and the Wishart Municipal Group
- Innovation Startup of the Year: Black Fox Fishing
- Innovation in Social Entrepreneurship: Youth Odena and Food Bank Farm
- Innovation Youth of the Year: Stormer Santana
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre (SSMIC) is a non-profit organization established in 1999 to function as a catalyst for economic development and diversification in the information technology and science knowledge-based sectors.
Details about the winners are available here.