Mike Moore, president of Mike Moore Construction in Sault Ste. Marie, has been bestowed a special award by the Ontario General Contractors Association (OGCA) for his work within the construction industry.
Moore received the Chairman’s Award, which goes to “an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the general contracting industry.” The award was presented during the OGCA’s 79th annual general meeting and conference, held Oct. 19-21 in Toronto.
“Mike embodies the fullness of the requirements for candidacy for this award,” the organization said in a news release.
“He served the OGCA as a member of the board of directors with distinction for over a decade and always played an integral role in not only setting OGCA policy, but also managing to effectively communicate the concerns of the Northern Ontario contractor members.
“Mike is a strong advocate of construction safety and his companies have won a multitude of safety awards, including the Canadian Construction Association’s National Safety Award in 2006 and 2010.”
Among Moore’s many attributes, the OGCA cited the following contributions:
- Moore was the first person in Canada to receive a Professional Gold Seal (Estimator) designation;
- he served as past president and past board of directors member for the Sault Ste. Marie Construction Association;
- he was a founding member of the Sault Ste. Marie Construction Association Safety Committee;
- Moore served as a member of the board of directors for the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation;
- he was a past member of the CEO Health and Safety Leadership Charter; and
- Moore is a member of the Canadian Blood Services Advisory Panel.
The OGCA additionally awarded the Jock Tindale Memorial Award — “given for a high standard of ethics and integrity within the construction industry” — to Michael Atkinson, of the Canadian Construction Association.
Founded in 1939, the OGCA is the largest representative association in the construction industry. It helps members deliver construction excellence in the industrial, commercial and institutional sectors. Members include small, medium and large firms representing both union and open-shop contractors.