Algoma University in Sault Ste. Marie has launched a School of Business and Economics, with a goal of expanding existing program offerings to meet anticipated demand.
Algoma has offered business programming in Sault Ste. Marie since 1990 and in Brampton since 2010. Students completing their Bachelor of Business Administration can currently specialize in accounting, economics, human resource management, and marketing. The school also offers a four-year degree in finance and economics and a three-year degree in economics.
But the school is forecasting 300 students at the Sault campus and 500 students in Brampton within the next three years.
“Algoma University is proud to establish the School of Business and Economics in Sault Ste. Marie and in Brampton,” said Algoma University president and vice-chancellor Asima Vezina, in a July 24 news release.
“It is logical that this is the next phase of development for the most highly subscribed program at our university. Our business program attracts students locally, provincially, nationally, and internationally, and we are ready for the increased enrolment the School of Business and Economics will bring to both sites.”
Future plans include:
- more opportunities in co-operative education, experiential learning, and research activity;
- the expansion of one-year certificate programs specifically designed to enhance career readiness;
- the introduction of a Master of business administration program in conjunction with another university;
- added business-related training in conjunction with industry partners, including local steel producer Algoma;
- the establishment of ‘two-plus-two’ diploma-to-degree pathway agreements; and
- creating agreements with international institutions.