Skip to content

Wawa junior miner makes high-grade find

Red Pine Exploration discovers Surluga Deposit has legs
0
Red Pine Exploration core shack

Red Pine Exploration has discovered a new gold zone at its Wawa Gold Project.

The Toronto-based junior miner said they've found high-grade gold below the Surluga Deposit on their property, two kilometres southeast of town.

One drill hole revealed gold – 5.2 grams per tonne (g/t) over 6.31 metres – 350 metres below what was the defined boundaries of the deposit, down to a depth of 570 metres. A second hole yielded intersected 4.1 g/t gold over 0.94 metres below 450 metres depth.

The company has been running an exploration program on their 6,500-hectare land package that historically had a number of former gold mines with a total production of more than 120,000 ounces. The largest outlined deposit on the property so far is the Surluga.

Want to read more stories about business in the North? Subscribe to our newsletter.

In a May 11 release, Red Pine said the drill results are proof the gold resource at Surlaga can be expanded at depth.

Red Pine CEO Quentin Yarie said these results show "more definitive evidence that the higher-grade core of the Surlaga Deposit extends well beyond the footprint of the current resource." The next round of exploration this year will follow up on this extension.

Results are still trickling in from Red Pine's winter drilling exploration program and the company is resuming field work this month after putting everything on hold in March due to the pandemic outbreak.

Before suspending activities, the company was 3,000 metres into a 16,000-metre drilling program.

Red Pine owns a 64.5 per cent chunk of the Wawa Gold Project with Citabar LP holding the remaining 35.5 per cent.

Alamos Gold, operators of the Island Gold Mine, northeast of Wawa, is a strategic investor in Red Pine and is involved in the project's exploration program.




Comments