Five projects in Nipissing have received $1.4 million in provincial funding through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corp.
The province made the announcement on Nov. 9.
"Our government is creating good-paying, full-time jobs in the North by investing in a broad range of industries like manufacturing, forestry, agriculture and technology," Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli said in the release.
"COVID-19 has had a devastating impact on many businesses in the North and across the province. Now more than ever, we are committed to supporting our business owners so they can remain viable and contribute to Ontario's economic recovery."
Of the $1,446,266 allotted, the funding breaks down as follows:
• Central Welding and Iron Works is receiving $726,750 in funding to purchase and install a new drilling machine to increase production capacity;
• Designed Roofing Inc. is receiving $400,000 in funding to expand its manufacturing and inventory space;
• Co-opérative Régionale de Nipissing-Sudbury is receiving $128,561 in funding to purchase a new grain dryer, which will increase its capacity to provide affordable grain-drying and storage services to local farmers;
• a small forestry company (739364 Ontario Inc.) is receiving $118,872 in funding to purchase forestry equipment to increase production capacity; and
• Metricaid Inc. is receiving $72,083 in funding to build web and mobile application-based scheduling software for emergency department physicians.
The funding is expected to lead to the creation of 17 jobs and the promotion of economic development in the area.