A $5-million provincial funding announcement is expected to help create or retain 70 jobs in Timmins’ mining supply and service sector.
On Sept. 27, the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corp. announced funding for 13 projects throughout the city. They are:
- INEOS Calabrian, which will receive $2 million to help establish its sulfur dioxide manufacturing facility (20 jobs created/retained);
- The Bucket Shop, which will receive $1 million for its new bucket manufacturing and fabrication facility (eight jobs);
- Day Group, which will receive $600,000 for a new shop to accommodate staff, training facilities and a heavy equipment facility to service local mines (six jobs);
- Timmins Electric Motors, which will receive $504,600 to renovate a building and purchase manufacturing equipment (five jobs);
- OK Tire Mining Division, which will receive $275,481 to purchase equipment to expand their commercial tire sales and services business (11 jobs);
- Northern Mining Analytical Laboratory, which will receive $200,000 to establish a lab that will provide analytical services to the mining sector for mineral analysis (six jobs);
- Precision Boring, which will receive $137,650 to purchase equipment and upgrade a building to provide manufacturing, machining and welding services (three jobs);
- NorWeld Welding & Mechanical, which will receive $126,222 to provide welding and mechanical services to the mining and commercial sectors (six jobs);
- Steelworks Welding & Fabrication, which will receive $66,578 to acquire new pipe-cutting equipment to reduce manufacturing time and increase productivity (two jobs);
- Conveyors Plus, which will receive $42,000 to create and test a new large prototype V-shaped conveyor system (one jobs);
- Mine Safety Solutions, which will receive $37,365 to design safety gloves that will feature three layers of safety material (one job);
- Bedard Metal Fabrication & Welding, which will receive $31,184 to expand and diversify their metal fabricating and welding business (one job); and
- CB Vent Repair, which will receive $14,030 to establish a new business offering vent repair servicing and recycling (two jobs).