Six Northern Ontario businesses were recognized on April 12 for their efforts to go green.
Sudbury membership-based organization Green Economy North, which helps Northern Ontario businesses adopt environmentally friendlier practices, handed out the prizes as part of its annual awards program.
“It’s been an incredible year,” said Richard Eberhardt, program director for Green Economy North, in a news release.
“We doubled our membership, and have started expanding into new sectors and project areas. There’s no doubt that the green business movement is catching on in Sudbury, and we’re thrilled to be on the crest of that wave.”
Three Environmental Champions of the Year were named:
- Greg Cantin of Cantin Insurance Services Ltd., The Co-operators
- Max Burt of Burt Country Farm Meats
- Hiawatha Osawamick of Hiawatha’s Catering
Additional winners include:
- Most Engaged Green Team: Hiamedia
- New Member of the Year: Morin Industrial Coatings Ltd.
- Sustainable Business of the Year: United Church Sudbury Presbytery Pilot Project
Green Economy North members range from small retail businesses to non-profit organizations to large industrial corporations.
The second Green Economy North annual report was also released on April 12. It showcases the achievements of the 40+ members, and the highlights of 2017 and is available at www.greeneconomynorth.ca.