Porter Airlines is extending its suspension of service to Dec. 15, citing ongoing travel restrictions associated with COVID-19.
The company announced the decision in an Oct. 13 news release.
“The flareup of COVID-19 cases in certain markets during the last month dampened any expectation of changes to government restrictions that will enable us to begin flying again in November,” said Michael Deluce, Porter’s president and CEO, in the release.
“The federal government is indicating that they need more confidence about what course the pandemic will take before restrictions are reconsidered.
"We hope that lifting of travel restrictions will soon be possible given evolving technology, such as rapid testing, and health and safety investments that the travel industry is making.”
The company said it would waive fees associated with changes and cancellations on all fares booked through Dec. 15, including Porter Escape vacation packages.
The airline suspended service on March 21, after the arrival of COVID-19.
It’s shifted its restart date multiple times since then; most recently Porter’s service was to resume on Nov. 12.
Based in Toronto, the airline offers flights to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Fredericton, Saint John, Moncton, Halifax, St. John’s, Stephenville, N.L., Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Timmins, Windsor, New York (Newark), Chicago (Midway), Boston and Washington (Dulles), and has seasonal flights to Mt. Tremblant, Que., Muskoka, Ont., and Myrtle Beach, S.C.