The City of North Bay has initiated the next stage of selecting a general contractor to build the North Bay Community and Recreation Centre on Lakeshore Drive, according to a news release.
An invitational tender has been issued to prequalified contractors previously identified as part of a request for pre-qualification process. The current submission deadline is June 14. The estimated $51.6-million project could have nearly half its projected costs covered by the federal Green and Inclusive Community Buildings program.
North Bay city council approved the new arena project by a 6-5 vote in February.
The new community and recreation centre, which will replace the West Ferris Arena, will provide the community with improved recreational services and opportunities, including an additional ice pad to better meet demand.
The facility will be fully accessible and environmentally sustainable through a net-zero-carbon design. It will also incorporate multi-season use, multi-functionality, and integration between indoor and outdoor spaces at the Steve Omischl Sports Complex on Lakeshore Drive.
Key features will include:
- two standard-sized hockey rinks;
- walking/running track;
- fully accessible building;
- warm spectator viewing areas;
- outdoor event/warm-up area;
- transit pick-up and drop-off location at the main entrance;
- community room/meeting space;
- community patio-veranda;
- a total of 14 barrier-free team change rooms, including eight capable of converting into four enlarged change rooms;
- 433 parking spaces; and
- bus parking spaces.