Skip to content

Inquest announced into 2017 workplace death of Wiikwemkoong man

Carl Peltier died Aug. 21, 2017 on a private job site in Chelmsford
An inquest has been announced into the 2017 workplace death of Wiikwemkoong man Carl Peltier, 53, who died from injuries sustained at a job site in Chelmsford.

An inquest has been announced into the 2017 workplace death of a Wiikwemkoong man. 

Dr. Emily Groot, the regional supervising coroner for the North Region out of Sudbury, announced July 21 that an inquest will be held into the death of Carl Peltier.

Peltier, 53, died in hospital Aug. 21, 2017, as a result of injuries sustained while working at a construction site in Chelmsford. An inquest is mandatory under the Coroners Act.

Published reports at the time of his death state Peltier, an employee of Prosteel North in Wiikwemkoong, was injured after trusses on the building he was working on collapsed.

“The inquest will examine the circumstances surrounding Mr. Peltier’s death,” the coroner said. “The jury may make recommendations aimed at preventing further deaths.”

The inquest is expected to last two days and will hear from approximately seven witnesses, the notice stated.

The inquest will start at 9:30 a.m. on Aug. 9 at the Manitoulin Hotel and Conference Centre in Little Current. Dr. Steven Bodley will preside as inquest officer, with Mathieu Ansell and Caroline Jacobson as inquest counsel.

His obituary states Peltier, known by the nickname “Mandy,” is survived by his partner Faye Corbiere, children Keasha (Nathan), Jackilene, Ethan, Corey and Tanya, and grandchildren Cameron and Serenity Lynn, Jlyn, Conan, Shayla, Lillie, Aiden and Kyla.

“He'll be remembered as a hard worker and someone who always liked to laugh and was always there to lend a helping hand,” the obituary said.

“He enjoyed walks in the bush, playing pool, horseshoes, watching hockey and working. He spent 10 years working for the Wikwemikong Nursing Home, two years as a home care provider for Amikook and his handiwork can be seen all around the community of Wikwemikong as he also worked for Wikwemikong Housing for 25 years. He'll be dearly missed by everyone who got to know him.”