First Nickel's Lockerby Mine has resumed normal operations after the Ministry of Labour issued a stop-work order to the Sudbury mine last week.
The stop-work order was lifted at 6 p.m. on April 29 after First Nickel completed the work required to satisfy the stop-work order issued by the ministry.
The ministry found the problems in one of the mine's two shafts, making only one shaft available for use. The mine had to be shut down, since, by law, all mines have to have two exits.
“I am very pleased with the Lockerby team's ability to quickly respond, assess and resolve the isuses causing the interruption,” First Nickel president and CEO Thomas M. Boehlert said in a news release. “The dedication and co-operation of our employees and contractors bodes well as we continue to safely ramp up the Lockerby Mine to full production over the course of this year.”
According to the news release, the company does not anticipate any negative impact on second-quarter production.
“Over the past week, management and the union have worked very closely to address the issues identified by the ministry,” Richard Paquin, president of CAW Local Mine Mill 598, said in the release. “I'm very pleased that the safety of our members remains a top priority at the Lockerby Mine.”