Vale miners in Sudbury are heading back to work with a renewed focus on safety after a fatal accident last month forced the company to shut down its entire five-mine operation.
In a Feb. 6 release, Vale said the return to work will be gradual in the days ahead as miners and management will address immediate safety concerns in the workplace.
Operations were suspended after miner Stephen Perry was fatally injured, Jan. 29, while working in the main ore body at the 4,215-foot level of Coleman Mine.
The company said with ore already stockpiled and available for processing at the mill and smelter, operations should not be affected.
Kelly Strong, general manager of Vale's Ontario operations, said managers, supervisors and safety reps have been working on plans before production resumes.
“Similar meetings have occurred across all of our surface plants and other departments in Sudbury. The best way to achieve our safety goals is by working together to ensure that hazards across all work areas are managed in an effective and timely way.”